Monday, January 2, 2012

A few resolutions

Happy 2012, dear blog reader(s)!

I find that I am always surprised that another year has passed. I marvel at the simultaneous fast-slowness of Time, and our strange relationship to it. I do love the yearly reminder to reflect on what has been accomplished and what can be improved. If anything, I think we should be doing this kind of reflection more often. I think it's silly how many people buy gym memberships on January 2nd, but stop going by February 1st...but I do think that setting goals and intentions is important! I read a smart idea in the Everything Yoga blog that instead of setting outside-oriented goals, one might achieve more success by setting "inside" goals - how do I want to be? How do I want to feel? What do I want to experience in my day-to-day life? By searching for these internal goals, positive outside goals will usually happen naturally.

I want to be more graceful and poised in my day to day life. I want to feel less rushed and more mindful of the joy in simple things. I will achieve this by...actually *using* the tools that I know work for me: Creating daily to-do lists with small, manageable goals, and realistic timelines. I will keep my calendar updated. I will use my executive functioning skills to plan ahead and prepare ahead (packing my lunch the night before, so the morning is less harried.) I will get exercise, even if it is just walking the dog, and finding sensations to be grateful for.

Another goal is to be more mindful in my yoga practice. I am very proud of myself in that I have a much more regular home practice than I ever did in past years. However, I've started to notice that I am just going through the motions, so I can tell myself that I practiced, and check it off the list. While that is still better than not practicing at all, I am still allowing my mind to race and wander with no attempt to be more mindful internally. To focus on a meditation, or practice progressive relaxation, or remind myself to let those thoughts float by. I'd like to make more of an effort to really engage during my time spent doing yoga, and be more able to let my mind truly rest.

Finally, I'd like to set more frequent goals for myself. I want to take a few minutes each Sunday to set an intention for the week. Lay out a tentative schedule for myself, that includes time for yoga, meditation, journaling, cooking...all the things I love, but often don't do when things get busy. Or, if the schedule is really jam-packed, setting an intention to be mindful and poised. To use the opportunity to practice yoga off the mat, to remain graceful in the midst of chaos.

What are your resolutions for this year?

1 comment:

  1. Hi friend! This might end up being sort of corny, so beware, haha. I was actually thinking about something similar as I was reflecting on this past year. A few years ago, I think it was my second or third year of teaching, I was upset that I didn't have time to read anything for pleasure, so I made a NYR to read 10 books. Embarrassingly, I wasn't able to do it. But in September when this school year started, I kept thinking about how I wanted to have more energy during the day. With that as a goal, I decided to start reading a little bit each night before bed as a way to unwind and not only has it helped me sleep better, but I'm on book #6 since September. It's funny how things work out like that! So instead of making resolutions this year, I decided that I want to do my best to feel healthy and happy this year. Who knows where that will take me? ;)

    ReplyDelete