Thursday, July 7, 2011

A CSA update

I am really loving being a part of the Farm Direct Co-op. Every week is like a surprise and a puzzle to come up with creative and delicious ways to use our fresh produce. (Not that I am actually coming up with recipes myself, I'm not at all a talented chef. But I enjoy scouring the internet for recipes that sound good!)

I mentioned I was excited about the Dandelion Greens last week, and I have to say they were very yummy, mostly because of this crack-tastic hot dressing. I used the peas to make this light and summery pasta dish from Cooking Light, which I've made before (but it is clearly worth repeating!)

On Tuesday, I made a healthy and delicious quinoa dish that the FDC blog posted, using the kale from the FDC, plus a head of broccoli, basil, and 2 tomatoes from the Salem Farmer's Market.

This week, we received: 3 more cucumbers (I'm still looking to perfect an easy cucumber salad.) 2 summer squash and 1 zucchini, 1 tomato, a bunch of swiss chard, and a bunch of beets.

Last night, I made this soup with the summer squash, zucchini, and half of the swiss chard. It was delicious! Plus, a side salad with last week's lettuce, some of the cucumber, tomato, and an orange bell pepper we had kicking around. Definitely worth repeating.

Tonight I'm planning to make this with the beets. I've never used the beet greens before, but I'm trying my best to not be wasteful. Plus, the beets are sort of small, so they wouldn't amount to much on their own. However, I think I'm going to boil the beets instead of roast them, because I just don't think I can stand to turn my oven on today!


1 comment:

  1. Try cukes, plain yogurt, a dash of pepper, and a dash of dill. Let's take a one time cooking class together sometime!
    XO SM

    ReplyDelete